UL 1069 Hospital Signaling and Nurse Call Equipment
Standard for Hospital Signaling and Nurse Call Equipment
The requirements in this standard cover the individual units and equipment that operate within the context of a fundamental hospital signaling nurse call system (NCS).
A fundamental NCS provides audible and visual communication between patients and staff in a health care facility and conforms to the minimum requirements established in the Health Care Facilities Code, NFPA 99, and the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70.
Accessory equipment or devices which are intended to be interfaced with a fundamental NCS to initiate routine calls or supplementary operation and which do not initiate emergency or code call signaling can be evaluated for compliance with applicable requirements described in this standard.
A minimal fundamental NCS performs the following operations:
- Call Initiation – Activation of a staff or patient request for assistance via fixed or portable call initiation station.
- Notification – Call annunciation (audible and visual) at a primary nurse control station.
- Notification – Call-placed indicator (visual) on the call initiation station.
- Notification – Call annunciation at a corridor lamp.
- Notification – Zone annunciation (audible and visual) on a zone lamp.
- Call reset/cancellation.
A fundamental NCS may employ a wireless interface to perform fundamental operations or a supplementary operation such as notification at a redundant portable nurse’s station.
The units comprising a fundamental NCS covered by this standard are intended to be installed in patient care areas, staff areas, and support areas of a health care facility in accordance with the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70, and the Health Care Facilities Code, NFPA 99.